LeonaWisoker

Writing and Reading and Editing, O My!

I am a writer, reviewer, teacher, and editor. I pick up and discard new obsessions on a regular basis. Right now I'm wild about the work of Brandon Sanderson and Bryce Moore. Longer-running favorites include Patricia McKillip and Mary Gentle. Information about me and my humble scribblings may be found at http://www.leonawisoker.com

Writing the Breakout Novel
Plants of Power: Native American Ceremony and the Use of Sacred Plants
Alfred Savinelli
Tolkien and the Study of His Sources: Critical Essays
Jason Fisher
The Wizard of Oz as American Myth: A Critical Study of Six Versions of the Story, 1900-2007
Alissa Burger
The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook
Emily Ansara Baines
Oy Vey! Isn't a Strategy: 25 Solutions for Personal and Professional Success
Deborah Grayson Riegel
Caution: Faulty thinking can be harmful to your happiness: logic for everyday living
Elliot D Cohen
Strange Little Band - Nancy Brauer, Vanessa Brooks I initially picked up this book because I met one of the authors, Nancy Brauer (the other is Vanessa Brooks), at a convention. I liked Nancy as a person; then I attended one of her readings, in which she read the first two chapters of this novel, and I liked what I heard. I decided to pick the book up in eBook format, because I'm always really leery of self-published books.

To my delight, the formatting, grammar and such were all very clean and there were very few typos. Best of all, the rest of the story -- about an unlikely couple, their children, and their fight to control their own lives -- proved to be as good as the beginning. The characters are well-detailed and the plot thoroughly interesting. It's very well-written, but definitely isn't a book for children or for the easily offended.

I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to those who like dark science-fantasy romances with a hefty dose of fairly explicit sex thrown in. Nancy described this as "probably the least sappy romance you'll ever read", and I have to agree with that assessment. I'm also going to be keeeping an eye on this collaborative pair in the future!